Knowing how to download music from YouTube is one of the most useful skills the average internet user can possess. Even though there are more streaming platforms one can reasonaly use in a lifetime, some people prefer to restrict their content consumption to a handful of platforms – and that includes listening to music on YouTube. And let’s be honest – YouTube’s music library is nothing to sneeze at. Music aficionados can find music of all genres on YouTube, from the most mainstream of artists down to more obscure ones.
This is why YouTube, well aware of this trend, has launched YouTube music, as well as YouTube Premium, which allows users to listen to music in the background, ad free. After all, why watch videos in one place and listen to music in another when you can do both on the same platform and pay significantly less money?
On the other hand, there are also many alternative ways to download music from YouTube. You can, say, install YTD and convert YouTube videos into MP3 or MP4 with little to no effort involved. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Let’s go over a few ways to download music from YouTube.
Is it legal to download music from YouTube?
First of all, some house cleaning. Before downloading and converting YouTube videos to MP3, you should be aware that there are specific rules around what you can download and how. Downloading music via the official app, for personal use, is perfectly legal. Third-party apps are in something of a gray area and we do not recommend downloading copyrighted audio content for commercial purposes.
With all that ouf the way, let’s take a look at how to download music from YouTube.
How To Download Music From YouTube Straight From The Source
Much like downloading YouTube videos, the platform’s Terms of Service state that you are not allowed to download any audio content unless it’s specifically allowed by the service or you have prior permission from YouTube or the rights holder.
However, by subscribing to YouTube Music Premium for $9.99/month, or YouTube Premium for $11.99 a month, you are allowed to download ad-free songs and playlists via the YouTube music app for both Android and iOS.
However, there’s the fact that YouTube features millions of tracks, most of them uploaded by regular users rather than record companies. Downloading that particular type of audio content should be fine as long as it’s for personal use and you don’t commercialize it.
Also worth npoting is the fact that YouTube offers lots of royalty and copyright-free usic, as well as songs covered by a Creative Commons license. Downloading that music is legally allowed regardless of whether you are subscribed to YouTube Premium or YouTube Music Premium.
With all those caveats out of the way, here’s how to download music from YouTube directly from the platform:
- Subscribe to YouTube Premium.
- Go to YouTube.
- Navigate to the song you want to download and tap/click on the thumbnail.
- Underneath the video and above the description, you should see a Download button.
- Click on Download.
- Go to your channel page and look for “Downloads”. Your downloaded song should be in that list.
This should download the video, but not the song itself. If you just want the song, follow these steps:
- Open YouTube Music App on your device (we are going to assume you are already subscribed).
- Look for asong, playlist, album, music video, etc.
- Tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner and tap on Download. Alternatively, you can tap and hold the song and choose Download.
And that’s pretty much it. This will allow you to store music directly on your device and listen to it offline.
However, the songs themselves will be locked into YouTube’s ecosystem. Additionally, there is little in the way of format/conversion options – you’re stuck with whatever YouTube music offers.
If you are the kind of person who wants options and doesn’t like the idea of YouTube locking content into their platforms, YTD Downloader may be the way to go.
How To Convert YouTube Videos To MP3, MP4 With YTD Downloader
If you want a reliable solution for downloading YouTube videos fast and without watermarks, YTD Download might be up your alley.
YTD Downloader is a popular, easy to use tool that allows users to download, convert, edit and manage videos from over 50 websites, both popular and less known. With YTD, you can mass download videos and store them on your device of choice – no strings attached.
Before showing you how to download YouTube videos with our tool, let’s briefly go over the tools standout features:
All popular conversion formats are covered: MP4, AVI, MKV, MP3, MOV, WMV, 3GP, FLV, etc.
- Convert your favorite videos to the format of your choice: MP4, AVI, MKV, MP3, MOV, WMV, 3GP, FLV, etc.
- Download videos from 50 websites, both popular and less known: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Tumblr, iFunny, and many more!
- Convert files directly into the app – no need to install separate software.
- One-stop-shop solution – download, convert and trim videos in the same app.
- Seamless batch downloading – save whole playlists with just a few clicks.
- Unlimited video downloads (Premium feature).
- All resolutions supported, from HD in free to 8K (Premium feature).
- Manage and centralize your entire video library with YTD’s advanced panel.
- Watch videos offline at your leisure, using our app.
- Download videos directly to your device of choice – your videos will never be locked into our ecosystem. The videos you download are yours to keep forever.
- Trim the beginning and end of your videos. No need to download a separate app.
- No ads both for Free and Premium users.
- Supports all devices with minimal resource consumption.
- Watermark-free videos – enjoy your content as the creator intended!
- No useless bloatware – what you see is what you get.
With YTD’s main features out of the way, here’s what you need to do to download YouTube videos with our app:
- Go to YTD Downloader’s homepage.
- Click on “Free Download”.
- Open the installer and follow the instructions to properly install YTD.
- Open YTD Downloader.
- Navigate to the YouTube video you want to download.
- Click on the inverted arrow, copy the link.
- Paste the link in YTD Downloader.
- Before clicking the Download button, look around and see what options are available. For one, in the same window, you can convert the video to various formats (mp4, .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mp3, .3pg). You can also trim the beginning and end of videos. You can also play around with the quality and size of the video.
- Finally, click Download.
- Enjoy your YouTube video. Yours to keep, forever!
And that’s pretty much everything there is to it. From trimming videos, the ability to save content to personal devices to the in-app panel for library management, YTD offers tons of quality of life features absent in other solutions.
How To Download Music From YouTube Wrapped Up
And that’s it! While YouTube Premium and YouTube Premium music are viable options if you’re looking for the bare minimum, YTD Downloader provides tons of options in terms of file conversion. Make sure to give YTD Downloader a try and happy downloading!